Importing 2D models into FastModel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashutosh98

India
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2022 :  14:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be a very basic question, but I have recently started using FasterCap in order to extract the Capacitance Matrix of a specific system of conductors. I would prefer to model the system as a 2D system, and as given in the FasterCap documentation, geometric text files contain 'S' in order to generate the straight edges. Unfortunately, when I import a sample 2D input file (.lst file) into FastModel, it shows an error 'Bad Float Error'. I was able to find the root cause for this error by loading the geometry .txt files instead, and there I found that the letter S is not recognised by FastModel. Is there any way to visualise these 2D models on Fastmodel? Just to add, the 2D files cause no problems or errors in the FasterCap algortihm, its just a problem with the model visualisation.

Ashutosh Mukherjee

Enrico

530 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2022 :  00:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashutosh,

you're right, FastModel does not support 2D input files.

However, there is a 'trick' you can use to visualize the files nevertheless. In FasterCap, select the option to dump the input file in FastCap format. FasterCap will generate a 'fake' 3D file that cannot be actually (directly) used in FastCap2 to approximate in 3D the 2D simulaiton, but it can be loaded into FastModel for visualization.

Once in FastModel, I recommend to switch to 2D orthographic view and autoset the view to the XY plane, so you can view your geometry as if it were fully 2D.

Best Regards,
Enrico

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page