Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gokhankaraova

Turkey
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  16:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Have simple questions

1) I created a parallel plate capacitor with capgen which is 1m*1m, 0.01m plate (-0.01) seperation and 50x50 panel grid (-n50), but I could'n achieve the direct analytic results because of some parasitic effects I guess. When I started playing with -e parameter (edge to inner panel width ratio), as I keep increasing value, result become closer to analytic result. What causes this situation? Is is because the outer panels are less effected from parasitic phenomenas?

2) Does plates or faces of any geometric figure has any thickness?

Thank you,
Gokhan

abc

Enrico

529 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  11:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The outer panels are the most affected by the fringing field effects, i.e. the real 3D behavior, with respect to an ideal parallel plate capacitor that is assumed to have strictly uniform field and only within the plates.

The -e parameter controls the outer (edge) panels ratio w.r.t. the internal panels, and helps achieving a slightly non-uniform discretization near the edges, where the fringing field effects are more pronounced, and therefore the charge density changes most on the plate.

In FastCap2 you can use zero-thickness plates, but you need to be careful, especially if you use different dielectric mediums. In this case, there is no basic element with zero thickness and in contact with two different dielectrics at the two sides.

You may also want to check the sample file "capacitor_simple.lst" in the FasterCap samples directory, as well as "capacitor.lst". You may also, from those files, output from FasterCap an input file valid for FastCap2, if you strictly want to use FastCap2 as a solver.

Best Regards,
Enrico

Go to Top of Page

gokhankaraova

Turkey
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  08:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot.

abc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic