FastFieldSolvers Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 FastFieldSolvers
 FastModel
 how to view/edit FasterCap files with FastModel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JSP

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  02:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I uploaded the demo and was able to get FastCap2 models to load and view perfectly.

I can also run FasterCap on FasterCap models and get good results.

But I cannot load FasterCap models into the project with FastCap2 so that I may view and edit them with Fastmodel.

For instance, from the FasterCap 2D model folder, I try to load coax_cable_2d.lst with FastCap2.

The viewing pane indicates bad float data on lines 3 and 4. Other FasterCap examples show other errors.

From the manuals, I got the impression that FastCap2 is used to load FasterCap or FastCap2 models for viewing/editing with FastModel.

Please let me know how to view/edit FasterCap model files with FastModel.

Thank you

JSP

Enrico

537 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  23:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FastModel has only a limited capability for editing FasterCap files. In particular, it does not support 2D input file visualization, as you realized. Actually it can be used as a viewer, also for 2D files, when asking FasterCap to dump the refined models in FastCap2 format.

The reason for incomplete support by FastModel is that FastModel is not multi-platform as of today. We are moving to a different platform, based on the free CAD program FreeCAD, which is truly multi-OS. However the porting of the functionality available in FastModel to FreeCAD is not complete.

Please let me know if this is a blocking point for you.

Best Regards,
Enrico
Go to Top of Page

JSP

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  22:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Actually it can be used as a viewer, also for 2D files, when asking FasterCap to dump the refined models in FastCap2 format"

Thank you for the tip. I will try this.

"We are moving to a different platform, based on the free CAD program FreeCAD, which is truly multi-OS. However the porting of the functionality available in FastModel to FreeCAD is not complete."

"Please let me know if this is a blocking point for you."

Enrico,
I like your software because it is easy to use. The use of a CAD program to input simple structures will help a lot. Please let me know your time-frame is for making this feature available.

JSP

Go to Top of Page

Enrico

537 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  02:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can already try a very simple script to export in FasterCap compatible format a structure modeled in FreeCAD.
The script is available for copy&paste in the "Overlapping panels in FasterCap" thread under the FasterCap topic in the forum.
I can also send you the file if you wish, please contact me at my email address in this case (s u pp ort [.at.] fastfi eldsolve rs.com - remove the spaces that are inserted only as anti-spam).

I will also keep you updated if when we'll have a more evolved workbench if FreeCAD, if you send me an a direct email, or if you prefer, here on the Forum.

Best Regards,
Enrico
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page