New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

audionerd

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  00:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I'm trying to replicate the spiral example from this video: ht*ps://youtu.be/CRqDuEtbdds

Using FreeCAD with the EM add-on installed, and fasthenry dowloaded from ht*p://wrcad.com/ftp/pub/fasthenry-3.0wr-033020.tar.gz

the calculiation seems to go alright, but: the resulting Zc.mat file shows nan/nanj results.

my .inp file is [url=ht*ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4HzC9AF1ChSrcecFzyhxyDhJsFchR4-/view?usp=sharing]here[/url], perhaps someone can verify it please?

thanks in advance!

audionerd

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  12:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm seems my links aren't working... not sure how to remedy that.

In the mean time I've tried opening the same .inp file in FastModel in a Win64 VM - I get the same result.

Perhaps somebody can take a look at my FreeCAD project file to see whether there's something odd about it?

ht*ps://drive.google.com/open?id=1lK7NN1WlZuIocJZy1p-T1B8Ct2f4_PcH
Go to Top of Page

Enrico

530 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  20:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

the links are intentionally crippled as an anti-spam and protection measure, as there is no user verification for accessing the forum. You can still access the links if you intentionally copy & paste the address in your web browser replacing the '*' or skipping them (as most convenient).

I checked your input file but you did some mistake in your FreeCAD model. There appears to be a dangling node "NFHNode041" as per FreeCAD Combo Model View. It reflects in your FastHenry created input file, as the spiral stops at node NFHNode040

[Start snippet]

EFHPath38 NFHNode039 NFHNode040 w=0.2 h=0.2
EFHPath39 NFHNode040 NFHNode w=0.2 h=0.2

* Ports
.external NFHNode044 NFHNode043

[End snippet]

so you spiral actually never closes in a loop, and this causes FastHenry to find no valid path for the current, hence the error.

Best Regards,
Enrico

Go to Top of Page

audionerd

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - May 19 2020 :  17:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Enrico, I tried it again and now it works. I guess I probably added an extra node by mistake.

Do you happen to know a way of constructing spirals in FreeCAD that consist or curved arc elements, instead of straight segments? I have been able to construct these for KiCad with the Spiki app, but that doesn't allow me to put two spirals in parallel.

Also, I found that the standard spiral function starts to do weird things above 44 rotations... ideally I would want to test out larger ones.
Go to Top of Page

audionerd

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  14:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the mean time, I realize that even if there was a way to construct a FreeCAD spirals that consist of arc segments, I guess in the current implementation there is no way to translate those into arc segments the way that fasthenry can work with them, right... would be great though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page