E.M. Workbench
 Fasthenry input file from a pre-existing model
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GalloTheLeo

2 Posts

Posted - May 31 2022 :  16:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I want to run RLC parasitic extraction on a transistor access that I drew. If I import it as a 3D model, would it be possible to use EM workbench to create the fastHenry and fastCap input files without having to draw the FH segments?

Leonardo.

Enrico

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2022 :  12:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Leonardo,

for FastHenry format, I'm afraid you have no simple choice. The input format is simple but is not really adapt for blindly discretizing a 3D volume.

You ma be better off with FastCap/FasterCap, as the input format is actually a triangulation of the surface. So you can use the surface of your 3D model to derive a triangulation out of it (all in FreeCAD) and then output it to FastCap/FasterCap format. However there is currently no support in the E.M. Workbench for creating FastCap/FasterCap files, just some python scripts that are installed with the workbench that must be manually launched. They require some basic Python knowledge, some FreeCAD knowledge and some FastCap/FasterCap input format knowledge to put them together. We would be eager for some sponsorship to complete FastCap/FasterCap support in FreeCAD E.M.Workbench, otherwise it will happen when we'll have time vs. priorities, I'm afraid.

For inductance simulations you may instead try using VoxHenry. The E.M.Workbench has some beta support for voxelization; and in principle you can voxelize any solid 3D object (a voxel is the 3D equivalent of a 2D pixel, so you can sample any object within the granularity of the voxel size). The voxelization function in the E.M.Workbench is a brute force one so for large number of voxels it is not efficient at all (better algorithms are available and implementation will follow) but you can use it if you don't need very fine discretizations. Again, if we can find some sponsorship we can improve the support in a shorter timeframe.

Best Regards,
Enrico
Go to Top of Page

GalloTheLeo

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2022 :  15:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the response, Enrico.

I'll try to use voxHenry instead and see what happens.

For fastCap, is there any tutorial or help on how to do this triangulation?

The model itself is small, but has a lot of features: it is the terminal contacts of a monolithic MOSFET, but the model itself has a lot of features.

Leonardo.
Go to Top of Page

Enrico

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2022 :  17:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
For fastCap, is there any tutorial or help on how to do this triangulation?

Not really, I'm afraid; but the source code contains comments that will guide you with the meaning of the parameters and a bit of an example.

Enrico
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page