New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alejandro_Tecnalia

Spain
2 Posts

Posted - May 02 2022 :  12:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

I used FastHenry several years ago and now I'm resuming it for a resonant Wireless Power Transfer project. I'd like to know if it is now feasible to convert a FastHenry file to FasterCap to extract parasitic inductance of a coil.

Years ago when using ConvertHenry this was impossible and gave many errors, such as overlapping panels...

Thank you very much.
Regards.

Enrico

530 Posts

Posted - May 08 2022 :  15:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reporting here the main point of our offline discussion, for completeness of the thread:

The point here is that trying merging the outputs from FastHenry and of FastCap/FasterCap is not the best way to proceed - even when not considering the different input file formats. You need a valid circuit model to fit the results of your separate simulations to. In this case, the physical geometry of the problem may help you - e.g. for a PCB printed coil on two faces of the PCB, an pi-greek model L-C-L may be a good fit - however this is difficult to do in general.

You may be better off using a tool that directly provides you the impedance of the system in the EMQS approximation (or full-wave, if radiation is of concern).

In this respect, FastImp is a tool better suited to the purpose.

One of the limits of FastImp however is that it works in homogeneous dielectric, but you may assume an equivalent medium permittivity.

As of today FastImp is not supported in the E.M. Workbench, but it would be nice to have some sponsorship to cover it as well.

Cheers,
Enrico

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page