FastFieldSolvers Forum
FastFieldSolvers Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 FastFieldSolvers
 FastHenry2
 Coil above plane

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What do MOONwalk and MOONdance have in common?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Roger Posted - Nov 05 2018 : 13:57:21
How do I set up FastHenry to compute the inductance of a coil above a plane?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Enrico Posted - Nov 20 2018 : 20:14:49
Well it really depends on where you close the current loop. If the ground plane is part of the path (e.g. inductor shorted to ground), then definitely you should consider it, but you need to pay attention to where you define your stimuli port. If instead you want to see the effect of the ground plane presence on a nearby inductor, you can define one port on the inductor and one port on the ground plane.

Best Regards,
Enrico
Roger Posted - Nov 19 2018 : 15:06:09
Hello Enrico,

I had one end of the coil connected to the plane. I was reading the inductance at both the coil ends and also between the coil end and the plane, gave a slightly different result.
I found its sufficient to either not connect the coil to the plane and read across the coil, or connect the coil to the plane and read from the coil to the plane. Assuming this make sense.

Thanks for your help.
Enrico Posted - Nov 09 2018 : 12:30:27
Dear Roger,

I can suggest you to get familiar with the FastHenry samples (please look in the FastHenry2 embedded online help the location of the directory if you don't know where it is).

In particular, simple_gp.inp shows a trace over a ground plane. You may easily modify that for modelling a coil over the ground plane.

Best Regards,
Enrico

FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page