FastFieldSolvers Forum
FastFieldSolvers Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 FastFieldSolvers
 FasterCap and FastCap2
 PCB input files for FastCap/FastHenry

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What do MOONwalk and MOONdance have in common?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hassan Posted - Jan 02 2019 : 12:04:48
Hello,
I was wondering if there is a way to generate an input file for FastCap and/or FastHenry from a gerber file of a PCB.
Thank you
Hassan
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Enrico Posted - Jan 03 2019 : 19:16:47
Dear Hassan,

at present, there is not a general way to generate an input file from a gerber file. There are some programs that have been developed for various kind of conversion; I may cite XicTools from Whiteley Research (w*w.wrcad.com), that is Open Source and free, but it is not a general gerber to FastHenry / FastCap/FasterCap converter, but can simulate PCB structures in these solvers. I also remember a tool called PCBParC for Power Electronics, but as far as I know, this has never been released as public. I'm also aware of a program called LayoutEditor, but this is not free, and I never used it, so I cannot comment on its usefulness for the task at hand. For exporting to FastHenry there was also a tool called InductEx, but again this is not free and not open source, however a free version existed with some limited capabilities.

Overall, the best way would be to implement such a converter in open source, possibly leveraging FreeCAD - as this CAD is already being extended with an ElectroMagnetic worbench, its scripting language is Python, and there are already some open source gerber readers that could be reused. If you are interested in sponsoring such an implementation in open source, please contact me privately (details in our "Contacts" page) and I'll be happy to discuss the possible options with you.

Best Regards,
Enrico

FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page