FastFieldSolvers Forum
FastFieldSolvers Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 FastFieldSolvers
 E.M. Workbench
 E.M. workbench for FastHenry beta available

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What do MOONwalk and MOONdance have in common?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Enrico Posted - Nov 16 2018 : 09:54:06
I'm happy to announce that a beta version of the FreeCAD E.M. workbench for FastHenry is available for testing.

You can find the source code and the installation instructions on GitHub ht ps://github.com/ediloren/EM-Workbench-for-FreeCAD

Comments are welcome, either on this forum or on the FreeCAD's forum, under FEM section ht ps://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=18 (even if FastHenry is based on BEM.. but FEM is the solover's section for FreeCAD), where there is also, more specifically, an open thread on the topic ht ps://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31920.

Best Regards,
Enrico
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Enrico Posted - Nov 13 2019 : 00:20:13
Dear Marco,

quote:

I've tried to send you an email but I received the following error

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'rs'
/forum/pop_mail.asp, line 228

This is strange. However you can find the email address in the same 'contact us' page. It is: support < a.t. > fastfieldsolvers.com (of course you need to replace the < a.t. > with the proper symbol, due to anti-spam)

quote:

Having open source solutions capable of tackling self/mutual inductance with magnetic materials is possible but its not straightforward. This is the reason for my interest in the subject.

Agreed. Available for discussing.

Regards,
Enrico
LazyTom Posted - Nov 11 2019 : 00:39:29
Dear Enrico,

I've tried to send you an email but I received the following error

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'rs'
/forum/pop_mail.asp, line 228

Perhaps if you send me an email I could reply.

Thanks for clarifying the capabilities of the fastHenry format. It looks like for complex cases like the one I described, at least for resistance calculations, it's better to use other methods.

With regard to my question on magnetic materials, I believe you have discussed this topic with another user, this is my first post.
Having open source solutions capable of tackling self/mutual inductance with magnetic materials is possible but its not straightforward. This is the reason for my interest in the subject.

Regards,

Marco

quote:
Originally posted by Enrico

Dear Marco,

quote:

By the way, assuming a 3D model of a via has been built using FreeCAD or imported as a STEP file, is it possible to discretize it accurately (including wall thickness)?
And if yes will fastHenry be able to process the resulting structure (calculate resistance and inductance)?

Yes and no. The FastHenry input format is based on parallelepipeds, which are not conforming to arbitrary 3D models as tethraedrons, for example, would be (for flat surfaces or approximations of flat surfaces).
However, you can use the 3D model imported via STEP as a 'trace' for creating a FreeCAD model using the E.M. workbench tools that could be exported in FastHenry format (BTW I assume we are talking about FastHenry here).

quote:

Also, as a separate subject, any news on the feature allowing the use of linear magnetic materials?

Not at present. This is still in the roadmap, but not having found any sponsorship for the time being, this is de-prioritized versus other activities. If you would be interested in further discussing this topic, kindly contact me via email (I'm not sure if I touched the point with you earlier, but your question makes me think so; I'm sorry I cannot at the moment connect the dots).

Best,
Enrico

Enrico Posted - Nov 04 2019 : 19:37:42
Dear Marco,

quote:

By the way, assuming a 3D model of a via has been built using FreeCAD or imported as a STEP file, is it possible to discretize it accurately (including wall thickness)?
And if yes will fastHenry be able to process the resulting structure (calculate resistance and inductance)?

Yes and no. The FastHenry input format is based on parallelepipeds, which are not conforming to arbitrary 3D models as tethraedrons, for example, would be (for flat surfaces or approximations of flat surfaces).
However, you can use the 3D model imported via STEP as a 'trace' for creating a FreeCAD model using the E.M. workbench tools that could be exported in FastHenry format (BTW I assume we are talking about FastHenry here).

quote:

Also, as a separate subject, any news on the feature allowing the use of linear magnetic materials?

Not at present. This is still in the roadmap, but not having found any sponsorship for the time being, this is de-prioritized versus other activities. If you would be interested in further discussing this topic, kindly contact me via email (I'm not sure if I touched the point with you earlier, but your question makes me think so; I'm sorry I cannot at the moment connect the dots).

Best,
Enrico
LazyTom Posted - Nov 03 2019 : 20:38:34
Dear Enrico,

thanks a lot for this fantastic tool, it gives a turbo boost to the discretization process ^^

I wanted to ask you this question before I start experimenting to avoid "chasing the unicorn" :)

Many thanks,

Marco
Enrico Posted - Dec 30 2018 : 23:28:11
Hi All,

new commit for the EM Workbench, and new videos:

1) Using the new path object ht ps://youtu.be/CRqDuEtbdds

2) Using the new path object, part 2: changing segment cross-section orientation ht ps://youtu.be/slsLdLoF2OI

3) Conductive plane part 3 - add and remove nodes/holes ht ps://youtu.be/BtgdJOf-ql0

and happy New Year!
Enrico
Enrico Posted - Dec 12 2018 : 20:37:54
Hi Everybody,

for those interested, we published on GitHub a new version of the EM Workbench, and here you are two new tutorial videos explaining how to use the latest enhancements, centered around:

1) define a conductive plane ht ps://youtu.be/5pSzPizw4e8.

2) parametrize the position of the nodes ht ps://youtu.be/BeBNtfH25rM

Enjoy, and any feedback is welcome as usual!
Enrico
Enrico Posted - Nov 19 2018 : 12:23:51
A tutorial video is available at

ht*ps://youtu.be/h6Pp-_ovLZM

Best Regards,
Enrico

FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page