FastFieldSolvers Forum
FastFieldSolvers Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 FastFieldSolvers
 FasterCap and FastCap2
 converthenry and -e option

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What do MOONwalk and MOONdance have in common?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
brodym Posted - May 26 2018 : 03:51:30
When using converthenry, I am a bit confused how to use the -e option. In another thread I found the following by Enrico:

The -e parameter controls the outer (edge) panels ratio w.r.t. the internal panels, and helps achieving a slightly non-uniform discretization near the edges, where the fringing field effects are more pronounced, and therefore the charge density changes most on the plate.

What geometry is actually being affected by the -e parameter? Is this the thickness of the edge panel? How should we set this parameter?

Thanks

Brody Mahoney
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Enrico Posted - Dec 01 2018 : 18:17:46
FreeCAD is a powerful 3D CAD. It requires some learning, but there are plenty of tutorials to get you started. Also, in the case of electromagnetic simulation, you probably won't need models as complex as mechanical designs with hundreds of parts.

Said that, the macro for FasterCap at present require you to have some working knowledge of Python as well. This will change in the future, once the E.M. workbench will be integrated with a GUI supporting also FasterCap.

If you have any short-term requirement, we are fully available to assist you with modeling and simulations as a service; or for improving the E.M. workbench; not only speeding up the development, but also customizing it to your needs, should you decide instead to provide sponsorship for this open source project.

Best Regards,
Enrico
Gleason Posted - Nov 23 2018 : 15:53:04
How difficult is to start using FreeCAD without prior experience in it though?
Enrico Posted - May 28 2018 : 15:13:50
Actually converthenry is definitely less advanced than other options you have for modelling 3D geometries for FastCap / FasterCap. I would suggest using FreeCAD and the relevant scripts of the E.M. Workbench.

Said that, the -e option is the same that you can use in the other utlities, as 'cubegen', that you can find also described in the original FastCap User's guide. In a nutshell, in FastCap you need a certain surface discretization to reduce the charge densities error. The finer the discretization, the more precise the result. However, instead of using a uniform very fine discretization, you may try using a non-uniform surface discretizaiton, that allows smaller panels near the edges, as it is well known from electrostatics that the charge tends to crowd at sharp edges and corners. So the -e parameter defines the ratio of the side panels dimensions vs. the inner panels dimensions. You can leave the default 0.1, this is usually good.

Best Regards,
Enrico

FastFieldSolvers Forum © 2020 FastFieldSolvers S.R.L. Go To Top Of Page